Thursday, February 28, 2013

Blocking [tutorial?]

This is not the official "finished" blog post for this quilt.  It will be posted in a few weeks along with Heather over at A Quilt Story.


This is a sad tale of my attempts at blocking this quilt, which I have affectionately named THE AmyHeatherMarionCabinFeverRetreat Star.  For some reason I got a big poofy wave pucker thing in the 36" diameter circle and there abouts.  I am trying to block the quilt as to minimize the pucker thing.


I think it is working...  I will let you know ;)

PS- I LOVE this quilt!

UPDATE-  When I got up Thursday morning the quilt was completely flat!!!
See?  It looks AWESOME!!!  Blocking works!!!

PS-  Here is a link to a blog post explaining blocking and the process of blocking :) Click HERE
*** I modified the process a bit.  I put the quilt in the washer on hot with 2 t of Synthrapol.  After the washing, I brought it up to my living room floor.  I spread it out and had my son help me tug and straighten it out.  We gently patted the puckers down.  (the top two pictures are after the quilt had been washed, stretched and patted).  I went back every hour or so and patted and tugged a bit.  It needs to lay flat for a few days to make sure that it is all the way dry.***

5 comments:

  1. When things like this happen to me, I call it a touch of character. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I haven't even put my sewing machine away yet. It was so wonderful to meet you. Thanks so much for helping me figure out that binding trick. You made it so easy.
    -Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Explain blocking. =) I don't know what that means or how to do it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips on blocking. I will probably need them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have NEVER heard of blocking a quilt. Seems like a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts! I LOVE to hear from you :) I cherish every word :) I read ALL of your comments and try to reply to every single one.... but it sometimes takes me a few days xoxo
***If I don't get back to you, it is likely that you are a "No Reply Blogger" :( ***