Wednesday, March 4, 2015

#NMQGpincushionSWAP

We are having our first swap at the Nebo Modern Quilt Guild in March.  (I am so excited)

We are going to swap pincushions :)


I made a pincushion for a swap at Quilt Bliss last year and I really liked how it turned out, 
so I wanted to do the same kind.

(I stole this picture of the pincushion I made from Melissa over at My Fabric Relish
 She was the quilter who ended up with it :))



I started out with 1" squares, and they were just TOO big!  Who needs a 6" pincushion??


I shrunk them down to 1/2" squares, and that was just right!


I went a little taller with the sides, at 2-1/4" tall.


The bottom needed to be yellow ;)


I stuffed this baby with crushed walnut shells.


And, of course, I needed to add a label for good measure.


I think I may have to fight to take this one home with me :)

Measurements:  Finished top 3".  Height 2-1/4"

THIS is a GREAT tutorial for this pincushion by Heather Bailey. HERE

To make different sizes, here is the basic math rule.  Take the finished top size.  So, for a 3" finished top (3-1/2" unfinished) you take the measurements all the way around.  3+3+3+3= 12.  Add a half inch for the seam allowance.  (I use 1/4" seams, so a half inch.)  12-1/2" will be the length for the side band.  The width of the side band can be as wide as you want.  I recommend you cut the width at least 1.5" wide.  For this pincushion I cut the band 2-3/4" by 12-1/2".

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving your thoughts! I LOVE to hear from you :) I cherish every word :) I read ALL of your comments and try to reply to every single one.... but it sometimes takes me a few days xoxo
***If I don't get back to you, it is likely that you are a "No Reply Blogger" :( ***